Art at Ghyllgrove Primary School is taught both discretely and interwoven throughout the wider curriculum. For example, children may create a book cover in Topic, complete a seascape in Geography or sketch a plant in Science.
Our commitment to Art is providing all children the opportunity to develop their skills both in class and through our annual Art Week; when every child has the opportunity to study an Artist to further develop their appreciation of a range of art genres.
- each term, children will be given the opportunity to complete a piece of work with evidence of the 5 step development process (explore, create, improvise, present and evaluate);
- children will have experience in all areas of art in each phase (drawing, painting, 3D, textile, ICT, printing, collage and the historical significance of each artistic method);
- examples of existing pieces of work by famous artists are used in exploration stage to engage children and foster an understanding of the larger cultural context of art and its historical significance;
- resources provided support the variety of abilities and needs, while activities are designed to build on children's prior attainment and provide sufficient challenge;
- and, we ensure children are exposed to a range of art from other cultures, to reflect the diversity of our school.